Thursday 30 October 2008

Self-care

I am going through one of those periods in life when there's lots happening, lots of change afoot, with a fair bit of daily stress added for good measure. It's the kind of stressful situations that cannot be eliminated straight away; it's a matter of being patient and know that 'this too shall pass'.

I find myself in danger of forgetting the very basic rules of self-care that I am normally very good at. Isn't it funny how during times of stress, when most needed, we tend to let our good habits slip?

I have started taking the time again everyday to just sit and BE for 20 minutes. I am taking time for myself, and as little as 20 minutes per day is enough to calm my mind and for that stillness to stay with me for a few hours.

I am making sure I am eating well as the days grow shorter and the temperatures plummet. Plenty of comfort food, plenty of fresh veg and fruit. Plenty of warming food. I am trying out new recipes because change is as good as a rest.

I have started adding gentle daily exercise back into my routine. It's made a world of difference to my sense of strength and well-being.

I am getting my flat in order, cleaning and tidying, making sure there are nice smells abound, getting out the good bedding.

I am re-reading passages of books that inspire me and lift my spirit.

These are things that work for me. They ground me in a way that makes me more able to meet the challenges of life.

What habits to you need to get into to take better care of yourself? Don't leave it until you're too frazzled to stop.

1 comment:

Darrel said...

reading your comments on authentic living managed to lift my heart and soul this morning and a big YES sounded in my head...."thats what i should be doing more of"....simple everyday care for inner and outer self....its given me pause for thought and for that i am grateful.